Dr K O – Consultant Psychiatrist
BSc (Hon), M.B.Ch.B MRCPsych
I prepare an average of 40 expert psychiatric medico legal reports every year covering areas of my expertise, General Adults, Forensic patients, Intensive Care Psychiatric and Liaison Psychiatry. I have attended courts to give evidence in complex cases and Tribunals for cases of High risks patients. I have been involved in safeguarding for Vulnerable Adults and have carried out assessments on patients who are parents with regards to the risks to themselves or others, including their children. I am duly approved under section 1(1) 0f the criminal procedure, Act 1991 by virtue of my approval under Section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act1983 (as amended in 2007).
QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS:
– GMC, Full registration
– ACCREDITATION: CCST in General Adult Psychiatry.
– Sub speciality accreditation in Liaison Psychiatry
– Member , Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych) (1998)
– Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery, MBChB(1987)
– BSc(Hones)in Health Sciences(1984)
ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED
– UMDS, Guy’s and St Thomas Hospital Rotational Scheme. Basic and Higher Specialist Training in Psychiatry (1995-2002)
– Obafemi Awolowo University Nigeria BSc (Hon), MBChB (1980-1987)
Consultant Psychiatrist – August 2004-to date
Psychiatric intensive care and Community Forensic Service – NHS Trust
– Lead Clinician to the intensive care unit
– Lead Clinician to community forensic team
– Lead Clinician for ECT
– Prison and Secure units Liaison
– Member of the Trust’s Senior Medical Committee
– Member of the Trust’s Mental Health Act Committee
– Member of the Trust’s Risk Management Panel
– Member of the Trust’s Section 136 Committee
Medico-Legal experience and other professional roles
– I have provided reports and presented evidence to Tribunals and Hospital Mangers Hearings
– Bulk of Tribunal work relates to patients subject to provisions of Part 111 of the Mental Health Act 1983, mainly 37/41 and I regularly assess patients in Regional Secure units, Medium Secure Units and Prisons
– I am involved in Training of other professionals and Contribute to annual training of Forensic Medical Examiners Police.
– I have given lectures on Consent to treatment, Mental Capacity Acts, Detection of Malingering in Mental Health and Courts and Forensic Frame work for disposal of forensic cases.
EXPERT WITNESS EXPERIENCE
PERSONAL INJURY & OCCUPATIONAL / TRIBUNAL
• Employment Tribunals / Disability Discrimination Act Assessments
• Employment matters including Psychiatric Injury Assessments
• Trauma Sequelae (Psychiatry including Personal Injury)
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Psychiatry)
• Psychosomatic Disorders/ Munchausen / Malingering
– fraudulent simulation or exaggeration of symptoms assessments
• Psychiatric Assessment
• Psychopathology / Psychiatric Disorders
• Anxiety Disorders / Depression
• Child contact and custody cases
• Parental Psychiatric assessments
• Parental Risk Assessments
• Substance Abuse; Drugs and Alcohol related issues
• Domestic Violence
• Anxiety/ Depression including PTSD, Post natal depression
• Personality Disorders/Psychoses
• Criminal Responsibility (Psychiatric Assessment)
• Fitness To Plead (Psychiatric Assessment)
• Dangerousness/Risk Assessment (Psychiatric)
• Crime Victims (Psychiatry)
• Violence/Self Harm/Suicide
• Criminal Behaviour
• Offender Assessment (Psychiatric)
• Witness Assessment/Testamentary Capacity
• Abnormal Behaviour (Psychiatric Assessment)
• Mental Disorder (Psychiatric Assessment)
• Psychiatric Care
• Psychiatric Rehabilitation
• Rape / Sexual abuse
• Crime Victims (psychiatry) Torture Victims (psychiatry)
Asylum Seeker Psychiatric assessments
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
– Assessment and Treatment of Patients in Police Custody, Presentation at Academic meeting for Custody Nurses and Probation Officers- June 2010
– The New Mental Capacity Act: Presentation at Forensic Physician Academic Forum(New Scotland Yard, Nov. 2007)
– Detection and Management of Malingering in a Clinical Setting: Primary Psychiatry Vol.13,No 1,2006,61-68
– Dangerous People with Severe Personality Disorders: Psychiatric Services Vol. 56, No. 7, 2005, 872-873
– A Survey of inner London general practitioners’ attitudes towards depression:Primary Care Psychiatry Vol. 8, No. 3, 2002, 95-98
– Brought by the Police: Psychiatric symptoms of patients admitted into Ladywell Unit (Lewisham Hospital) under section 136, Case note review study 2001.
– Opiate and other substance addiction amongst patients with Sickle Cell disease, survey of patients attending Haematology Clinic at St Thomas Hospital.
– Presented at annual Haemoglobinopathy week at St Thomas’ Hospital – October 2000.
Audit of Rapid Tranquilization on Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit
Audit of ECT treatment at Epsom General Hospital: Assessments of Missed – fits, 2007
Audit of Section 136 presentation at Epsom General Hospital, 2006
Audit of Physical Examinations in Psychiatric In-Patients at Epsom General Hospital: June 2005
Reasons for non-attendance at CASCAID outpatient’s clinic – 2001.
Physical aggression, incidence and documentation at Brixton Community Mental Health Centre – 2000.
Audit of physical assessments in psychiatric unit, Ladywell acute wards, Lewisham Hospital – 1999.
Audit of communication with GP’s, on patients seen for the first time at Speedwell Mental Health Centre – 1999.
Psychiatrists in Court- A refresher course in Court appearance, Court Reports and Management-April 2009
Certificate in Teaching (as Educational Supervisor) Part 1&2
Management of Personality disorder patients-Oxford April 2006
Expert witness Training – Southampton 2005
Management of violence in acute psychiatric settings-London 2005
Management issues in bipolar affective disorder, Barcelona-October 2004
Refresher course in application of Mental Health Act October 2003
Basic Life Support Training October 2003
Management issues in Schizophrenia, Dublin – April 2002.
Preparing and presenting evidence in a courtroom or tribunal setting – 2001.
RSA Initial Text Processing (6-month part-time course) Distinction Certificate – 2000.
Management course for Specialist Registrar in Psychiatry – 2000.
Application of Computer Skills in Clinical Psychiatry – 2000.
Atypical Anti-Psychotics Clinical Effectiveness – 1998.
SPSS for Windows – 1998
Research Methods in Psychiatry – 1997.
Workshop on Mental Health Acts – 1997.
Management of Depression at the Primary Care Level, GP workshop – 1997