DR J S – Consultant Psychiatrist
I have carried out a number of expert psychiatric reports in the Criminal, Family & Civil Courts on a range of mental health cases over the last few years. These have included reports for detention appeals as well as employment matters, asylum applications, capacity assessments, Local Authority Care Proceedings & Child Protection. I was involved with guardianship, care plan reviews and investigations of care whilst a medical officer for the Mental Welfare Commission.
My expertise includes a broad range of psychiatric fields. These include the following:
Mental Health Act
– Mental Health Review Tribunal
– Guardianship Orders
– Compulsory Detention in hospital
Child & Family
– Local Authority Care Proceedings & Child Protection
– Private Law (custody and contact arrangements)
– Consent to treatment
– Court of protection
Personal Injury victims
– Medical negligence
Criminal Justice, including fitness to plead
– Magistrate & Crown court
– Offender assessments
– Fitness to plead/appear/interview/detention
Immigration & Asylum
Housing (vulnerability & disability)
Employment & Occupational Health
– Disability Discrimination Act (DDAs)
– Stress related sickness
– Permanent Health Insurance Claims
I have practiced in psychiatry since 2000, having trained in General Practice prior to this date. I have attended medico-legal training through the Royal College of Psychiatry and keep up-to-date with my CPD. I have experience in a wide range of psychiatric disorders, including the following:
• Mood Disorders – depression, bipolar affective disorder, seasonal-affective disorder
• Psychosis – schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder, paranoia, drug-induced psychosis, pathological jealousy.
• Personality Disorder
• Anxiety Disorders – including generalised anxiety disorder, panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder, adjustment disorders.
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD)
• Eating Disorders
• Peri-natal psychiatry – including post natal depression and psychosis.
• Drug & Alcohol disorders
• Deliberate self harm
• Family & Relationship problems.
Bachelor of Science, BSc (Physiology 2.1), 1992Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery, MBChB (Aberdeen), 1997
Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, MRCPsych,2005. CCST – General Adult Psychiatry
Present Post Consultant General Adult Psychiatrist for NHS Trust (since October 2008).
Clinical Director – General Adult in-patient & Community
I previously worked as a Medical Officer for the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (July 2007 – Oct 2008). This role involved several aspects of psychiatry, including capacity, medication, patient care and formal investigations.
The Role also involved reviewing patient care when detained, providing independent reports and Commission Investigations.
General Adult Psychiatrist at Stevenage Community Mental Health Team (2003 – 2007), covering a large and busy general adult community.
Psychiatrist (Child & Adolescent) at Huntercombe Maidenhead Hospital (Child & Adolescent Psychiatry), (2002 – 2003).
Additionally, I have completed posts in old age, liaison, and learning disability psychiatry.
GP trained from 1998 – 2000. (Fife GPVTS)
Posts included Accident & Emergency, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, psychiatry and General Medicine
Mental Health Act
I am approved under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act, and am an Approved Medical Practitioner, Scotland (AMP Approved).