Dr A S – Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist
MBBS, MRCPsych, Diploma in Clinical psychiatry
Dr A S has been preparing medico legal reports since 2003 for the assistance of criminal, family and civil courts. Dr A S is fluent in Hindi and Kannada and has prepared reports as an independent psychiatrist for the Mental Health Tribunal and also for the parole board. These reports have been for various criminal and civil issues.
Dr A S is able to provide psychiatric assessment, medico-legal reports, expert witness testimony and treatment of mental disorders such as:
Psychotic disorders including Schizophrenia, Mentally disordered offenders, Alcohol and Drug dependence, Affective Disorders including depression & bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Personality disorders and other psychiatric disorders. Dr A S has developed expertise in Women’s issues relating to psychiatry, Mental Health Law,(in particular, in areas related to the MHRTs, Human Rights Act, Capacity and Consent to treatment), The psychological consequences of medical negligence and Psychiatric disorders associated with head injuries and epilepsy.
My training and experience has equipped me to prepare medico legal reports of high quality in line with the Civil Procedural Rules (CPR) and Criminal Procedural Rules (CrPR) standards.
Dr A S can provide psychiatric expert witness reports, evidence and testimony in the following types of cases:
Fitness to plead, Murder/GBH/Assaults, Disposal options, Personality disorder, Pre sentence reports, Risk assessments, Dangerousness, Battered partner syndrome, Rape/Arson, Mental disorder psychiatric assessment, Criminal responsibility, Child contact and custody, parental assessments, All aspects psychiatry in family cases, Drug and alcohol issues, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression/Anxiety, independent MHRT reports and second opinions, Parole board reports, Life sentence reports, medical negligence and psychiatric assessment to consider the impact of various traumas.
Qualifications, Training and Professional Memberships:
• Member of Royal College of Psychiatrist awarded by Royal College of Psychiatrist London.
• Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Medicine.
• Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Psychiatry.
• I am approved by the Secretary of State for the purpose of Section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act 1983.
• Fully accredited for Continuing Professional Development by Royal College of Psychiatrists and remain in good standing.
• Member of the Faculty of the Forensic Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists, British Medical Association (BMA), Medical Protection Society (MPS)
• Attended several Expert Witness Skill Courses and an Ethics and practitioners course for newly qualified barristers.
• October 2007 to date – Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist
• November 2005- September 2007 – Higher Specialist training scheme in Forensic Psychiatry. Based in two Medium secure units for two years.
• October 2004- November 2005 – Higher Specialist training scheme in Forensic Psychiatry.
• March 2004- August 2004 – Forensic Psychiatry, Staff Grade Doctor
• September 2003- March 2004 – Forensic Psychiatry, Locum Specialist Registrar
• February 2000- September 2003 – Basic psychiatry training rotation. Three and half year general psychiatry training rotation to include general adult and old age psychiatry, and placements in Learning Disability, Liaison/ General Adult Psychiatry, Substance misuse, and Forensic psychiatry as a Senior House Officer.
Languages: Hindi and Kannada